If you are having eye problems, this highly effective mixture will improve your eyesight naturally. This mixture can even help you get rid of your glasses or at least reduce the diopter for good. Age-related macular degeneration is a condition where the macula of the retina deteriorates with age. This can lead to central vision loss. The fatty acids found in flaxseed oil are very beneficial for your vision. It is vital that our bodies receive vital nutrients to function properly. Deficiencies in essential fatty acids or lutein, an important and antioxidant, may lead to conditions including age-related macular degeneration.

Lemons are high in vitamin C, an antioxidant that may provide health benefits for our eyes. Vitamin C is a vitamin that may help prevent certain types of eye conditions, such as cataracts and macular degeneration. Honey is believed to be able to improve eyesight and cure watery eyes, as well as conjunctivitis and glaucoma. Garlic is also rich in sulfur that is essential for keeping the lenses of your eyes strong and resilient.

This recipe is cheap, easy and available for anyone to make at home because the products are completely natural.

Ingredients: 200 grams of flaxseed oil, 2 Organic lemons, 3 cloves organic garlic, 1 kg organic raw honey.

Method: Peel and boil two lemons and add in the garlic. Add in the honey and mix well, and then pour the mixture into a jar. Keep the jar in a cool and dark place, the refrigerator is the best option. Take one Tbsp of the mixture before each meal. Stir the mixture often with a wooden spoon, never metal because it destroys all beneficial properties.


One day I went to have breakfast at the stalls beside the wet market. I went to the stall where I could get won chai koh served with preserved vegetables.

While eating I called the lady boss round. She came. I ordered takeaways. She asked me to wait. This lady was a bit greedy. When she found a customer willing to patronise her stall she would charge more. To her patronising her stall is an opportunity to fleece a customer.

Later she came back to me saying, that the woon chai koh were only sold in boxes of fours at RM2.80 each. For eating in she would serve three at RM2.00. I okayed her explanation. Then after eating for another while I also ordered takeaways of bubur cha cha. Again she said it cost RM2.80 each. So I said she charged 50 sen more for takeaways. Eating in for bubur cha cha was at RM2.30.

Never mind about that. I took out my handphone to calculate. The total was only RM21.10. But when I started to pay she said she would charge me RM23. I told her that I had added the amounts which totalled RM21.10. I gave her a RM50 note. Finally she only took RM21. She always grabbed the opportunity to charge more! Next time I must be careful.


I drove to Sentul. There I stopped the car to refill its petrol tank. From there I drove all the way back to Bentong. At the Lemang stalls I stopped. There was nothing to buy. However, I just bought three small pieces of 'cow ear' biscuits for RM1.00 The girl who sold me the biscuits was rather unfriendly if not rude. All the way the drive was smooth. I even overtook some cars and lorries. I arrived at Bentong town before 12.00 noon. I drove straight to pass the town. At the junction to the house, I stopped at the Toki eatery to have lunch. I ate a plate of rice with a cat fish, convolvulus and wild ferns. The food was expensive costing RM7.00.

After lunch I drove to the house. After settling down, I took a bath. I rested on the Chouyang health bed for about 40 minutes.

Soon the clock showed 3.00. It was time to visit Dato' Ted Miles for me. In the car I called his care-giver. Lai Mei was not on time to take my call but she called me back instead. I told her I was going to visit Dato'. She answered in the affirmative. I drove up to Desa Damai to get the curry puffs his favourite tidbits. No, the stall was closed today. I wondered why. Then I went to the Indian shop and bought a packet of cream crackers.

I drove over to his place and my Kembara climbed the steep and rugged earthen road steadily. But no this was the first time I encountered an obstacle. Just at the head of the road for coming down there was parked a sort of MPV truck-like vehicle. I waited for a while. Then somebody came and said he would reverse the car but I told him not to. I had moved my car to the side of the road. The other car could just drive past as that part of the road was quite wide. Yes, they drove past my car and disappeared down the road. Who they were; I never come to know.

I approached the house. Dogs came out barking aloud. One had become well-known to me for she did not bark at me. I walked towards the door. Lai Mei opened the door for me. Dato' was sitting on the long sofa. I asked how he was.

"Fine", was the reply. We did not talk much. I told him I would be straight to the point. "I have come to take photographs of his coffin bed." I said.

Lai Mei took me upstairs. She showed me the box-like bed. It was really coffin shaped. I measured the box. It was 6 feet by 2 feet by 1 feet. I remembered he had said somewhere that the carpenter who made it chided him about its purpose. He jested saying, "it's a bed with me sleeping when the cover was on. It's a coffin if someone sleeps inside it for long." At his younger age he had a good sense of humour then. Yes, that box had travelled from Bentong to Kuantan and back to Bentong again during all these years. It was really used when he could find no place to lay his head on.

The care-giver opened the cover. There inside he had hidden his valuables such as books, magazines, etc. We did not count all. I took photographs. Then come out of the dust-laden cubicle, I saw his sleeping quarters. I photograph that place. One of it turned into a video with two feet walking towards the sleeping enclosure.

Soon I left.

On the way down the steep road after visiting Dato', I stopped and called Anthea or Mrs. Santa Singh. I asked for permission to visit her. She happily agreed. So I drove down to Sungai Marong. At the Malay stalls, I bought some banana and sweet potato fritters. She liked those Malaysian roadside tidbits. Yes, I arrived at her house No. 38. She invited me in. Her house was spic and span so clean.

I mentioned that nowadays English homes are not so clean. Most English homes are now cluttered and in messes, as I had seen. Yet they still said their homes are their castles. I came to know this situation during my recent two months' stay in Great Britain. I had entered houses where I could not step foot on.

Ms Margaret Anthea: this British lady had married a Malaysian Punjabi. She had become Mrs. Santa Singh. Well, she is quite a senior citizen now. I remembered her when she was young. She was my oral English examiner when I took that test for my Cambridge Examinations back in the 1950s. She passed me. The year before a French examiner a Catholic priest had examined me. He failed me! I could not speak English with the French twang, maybe! At the oral test Anthea made me to talk about the uses of a coconut tree. This still stuck in my memory.

Now back this English lady, she was from Chester England. She met Santa when they were both doing an advanced year of teacher training in Kirby, one of the two Malayan Teachers' Training Colleges in the UK. When they met Cupid came a calling. The god of romance shot them with the potent love arrow. The result was they took the marriage vow. So they became glued to each other as a couple. In fact, from the grapevine those days, I had heard someone had said that Santa said he would bring back an English bride. So he did what he said.

Anthea came to Malaya those days. She taught in various schools in Pahang including Kuala Lipis, Raub and Bentong. Her special subject was history. However, as she is a native speaker of English, she also taught English language. She mentioned of several names like Wong Bentong, Wong Lipis, Wong Kuantan, Che Ismail, two Gurmukh Singhs, Karpal Singh and many others of those days teachers, headmasters and friends and of names of yesteryears fame. She is a wonderful Madame.


From Sungai Marong I phoned Lee Yew Kwong. When he answered my call I sensed something was wrong. I drove to the usual coffee shop and waited for his arrival. After about 10 minutes, Yew Kwong came. He was alright though he appeared with a cane. He was carrying a walking stick. So in the quizzical stages of human development terms he had come to another stage. We used to say that humans start life as four-legged, becomes two-legged and finally he becomes a three-legged being. Okay, he still walked some two hundred metres out from his house. We sat down and drank tea our usual beverage.

We talked though Yew Kwong talked most of the time. He used to travel from Bentong to KL for family gatherings, business and fun. But he never forgets his physical exercises especially walking and tai chi practice.

One morning he was having his usual morning walk near his daughter's residence in PJ. While on the go, his upper torso suddenly leaned too far forward. He tumbled down face down. He hit the tarred ground. His face was covered with blood. On checking the doctor said the injuries were but superficial only. Now he had recovered from the fall. From thence on he gave up driving. Now he carried the walking stick along in case he lurked too far forward. If that happened again, he could hold on to the walking stick for support. Take care Yew Kwong.

After talking for a while, I walked up halfway back to his house.


Going for a drink one morning, at the Indian stall I met a Chinese man. He was there to swallow some medicines saying he was having hypertension. He showed me some pills that looked similar to those I used.

Then looking at me he asked something which meant to me nothing. What is your 'kwai kang'? "I beg your pardon." I said. For this was the first time I heard of this expression. He said people do not like to tell their age. So the most polite way to extract from them their age is to use the superlative - the most polite expression. "That is kwai kang." He added. I asked him for the written Chinese characters for the expression. He said he did not know them. He only learnt from words of mouth. He told me. He was a sort of driver. Bus driver? Taxi driver? Lorry driver? I sensed that it was impolite for me to inquire! Well he learnt manners through direct usage and contacts. Only that day I learnt that superlative from him an ordinary unpretentious man.

Actually in Chinese etiquette asking somebody's surname politely is 'kwai sen' and asking for his first name is 'tai ming' or 'your big name' or in Cantonese it is 'tai hou' or your big sign. Asking somebody's shop name is 'tai poh hou'. Asking somebody's intention of seeing you is: 'kwai khoon.' And the ceremonials of addressing and asking people in polite Chinese.

I remember while studying Chinese there was a little book on Chinese letter writing with all the formalities and niceties of language. But now it is used no more. Now any letter writing is in plain language like they say in Mandarin 'pai hua'.

What! The younger generation might jump at me saying, 'we don't write letters now. We send text messages, we send e-mails, we whatsapps, etc, etc." Even e-mail is going to be obsolete soon. It is almost overtaken by the other electronic applications and what more like what we call Facebook. Facebook! What a misnomer. It ain't a book at all.


Birthday Cake - Green

DEC 11
DEC 12
DEC 14
DEC 16
DEC 19
DEC 22
DEC 26

 Book and Quill
Written and Edited by Chan Suy Sang

Pick a MESSAGE from the top left column to read.
You'll be entertained no matter which edition you choose !!

Remember to come back SOON for more NEW and INTERESTING MESSAGES uploaded every month !!

You had just read MESSAGE 157